Sunday, December 27, 2009

How can I turn my cake making into a successful business?

I have been making cakes (wedding, birthday anniversary...)for six years now. I have had several people request me. I have also been told at many weddings: ';your cake is the BEST I have ever tasted--You need to open a business';. I am more confident now that I could do it. However, I make big city cakes and I live in a small town. How do I charge to get what they are worth? I use fillings and all fresh ingredients. I really enjoy doing it, but I want to make it worth my while without t being crazy expensive. What about food preparation laws. Thanks for any input.How can I turn my cake making into a successful business?
The best routes to take are to research the process of starting a business as well as the industry you're interested in.





I recommend checking out the SBA, Entrepreneur, The Start Up Journal %26amp; Nolo. All 4 are great informational resources for the new/small business owner. I posted links for you in the source box.





Associations may be a good avenue to explore. These organizations will address many of the thoughts, questions and concerns you'll inevitably have as well as many you haven't anticipated yet. See the source box for some relevant links.





Research, research, research 鈥?this cannot be stressed enough. Read as much as you can about the industry. Here are some book titles that are relevant:





* Starting a Cake Decorating Business from Home by Kathy Moore


* How to Make Money in Cake Decorating: Owning and Operating a Successful Business in Your Home by Del Carnes





There are plenty of free informational resources out there. Check the source box for links to articles.





Hope that helps! I wish you much success %26amp; happiness in all your ventures!How can I turn my cake making into a successful business?
Get into contact with people who often order cakes and give samples to their clients. Weddimg and party planners, owners of meeting halls, any other people involve in gatherings, bands, photographers, florists. any one who is in a position to reccommend you. Always reward the person referring you a job.
A lot of people start their business right out of their homes.you can make the cakes and give out samples with a business card. you can make the cards on your computer. you can make cakes for children partys, and things like that.
I don't know the answers to your questions but I have had cakes from Janie's and they are the best pound cakes ever!





You can visit her site and maybe send her an email and ask her.
My sister has her own cake decorating business she runs from home. She created her own letterhead etc and sent it out to all the Wedding planners, function organisers etc she could come up with from the phone book, she runs cake decorating classes at night in her home for a set course fee, she also went around to established businesses that supply cake decorating supplies and premade cakes that people buy and sells handmade flowers to them by order. She also created a flyer and paid some older kids to deliver them in her local area for all kinds of cakes.





Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment