Sunday, December 27, 2009

Where to purchase quality material for making concrete counter tops?

I've read a number of article/books about making your own counter tops and am ready to take the plunge and try it out - making a few test pieces anyway. I'm wondering where to go for quality material. HD and the like don't really have that many options.Where to purchase quality material for making concrete counter tops?
Any concrete supply or a good tile store should be able to help you get started.





I am sure you have studied on how to do this and I am sure you know what you are doing but I did too and I will tell you that my project came out good but it was hard work and took a long time to do it. I almost ripped it out more then once but at least I am the only one who see the mistakes.





I had to rent a lot of tools I have never seen before and found it was easier to follow marble guidelines. as that is kind of what your doing is making a marble counter top. Once I figured this out I learned on what tools to rent. and then the job started to go good.





I figure with my time at $50.00 an hour plus materials it cost me close to $15,000.00 to do and I think I could have it done for about $2,500.00 But it was a good learning and I am happy with the job.





One hint is to work the concrete until it turns black. Use a small trowel about 5 inches long to burn it or turn it black. Vibrate it good too. Set up a fan and keep the room cool so it does not dry out to fast and crack. Use plenty of water when you start to burn it.





It is a fun project but it takes a lot of beer to do but you will like it and have lots of rags as it can get messy.Where to purchase quality material for making concrete counter tops?
Find a concrete contractor supply store. They will probably have specially designed countertop materials including the concrete, forms, sealers, etc. Also, they may have a free instructional dvd from the manufacturer of the materials.





I highly recommend the special mixes because they are much easier to work with, have less shrinkage and slow set time. When mixed with water, the concrete will seem rather dry and hard to work with at first, but once you get it in place you'll see. As a concrete guy, I can easily see the difference between countertop concrete and regular concrete.





For do-it-yourselfers, I also recommend keeping it simple. The dvd may show you some fancy finishes and techniques. It's not nearly as easy as they make it look.





Another decision you have to make is where to cast it, in place or off site. Remember that a countertop 2 inches thick weighs about 25 lbs per sq ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment