Sunday, December 27, 2009

How do i stop my 2 cockatiels from making a high pitched screech?

Before u all say it, yes i know birds sqwuak, its what they do. That's ok, but they've developed an incredibly loud and very 'high' pitched screech to demand to be let out of their cage, anytime of the day. These birds are exceptionally spoilt- get lots of attention, spend half the day out- 1 bird actually puts herself back in the cage when she's had enough (when they're quiet, otherwise straight back in their cage), have plenty of toys and perches in their cage, get fresh food and water every day. We've tried squirting them with water when they do the demanding sqwuak, that didn't work. For a while now I've just been ignoring them, covering the cage up when they screech and uncovering them and giving them attention when they are quiet. That worked for a while but now they screech reguardlessif they're covered or not.


They're both girls, very attached to us and have been hand reared.


We have a baby on the way and are hoping to stop the behaviour before bub comes. Any ideas?How do i stop my 2 cockatiels from making a high pitched screech?
Good luck, I have been trying to solve the same dilemma for 22 years. I think the only solution is ear plugs on the days when they just won't stop. I love the little buzzards anyway, even if they do drive me crazy.How do i stop my 2 cockatiels from making a high pitched screech?
I think you answered your own question ....they are spoiled :)
I have had two males for over 15 years, and I know the noise! They love to do it when I'm on the phone! They make it when they are trying to get attention or are scared. They also imitate the phone ringing.Try to teach them another noise maybe.
You can't
hummm... I'm not sure. Yes i know you may not be able to do this, but an aviary. They will always have full rome.








Or you may try covering the cage with a light sheet. That always works for me.








Hope this helps,


Cockatiel Expert
Sometimes these kids just don't behave LOL I have 2 ages 15 and 17 and they still do screech but what i do is put a light cover over their cage and play some music they like near their cage to distract from the screeching. Water doesn't work cause they like it. It will take time and remember it has been proven they have the intellect of a 3 year old human child. mine are the same as yours out when they desire and loved and pampered dearly but be careful what music you play for them my oldest now mimics the andy griffith theme song lol. the only other option i use is a time out in a different dark room to let them know schreeching is a unaccpatble behaviour good luck patience will pay off
we usually put the telly on - not that it always works! Ours is just coming up for 2yrs now and he screams whenever we leave the room and doesn't stop until someone is in the room with him - he's an angel at night and sleeps well but is a little devil in the morning and plays at being an alarm clock! Have to be honest with you, when they develop an attachment, they are going to want you around the whole time, and these birds dooo have a rather high-pitched screech at times and if you're gonna make them part of the family, guess you just have to grin and bear it same as the rest of us nutters! :)
I have a female lutino who is almost 6 now and she NEVER STOPS it's just what they do really. I've already had complaints in my new ampartment complex about her noise. What I don't understand is that they make the noise when they are covered because Jozi doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment